Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Obama Hate Crimes: A History Lesson?

Quote of all quotes at a ridiculous hour of the night reading what has all of a sudden become very scant election coverage:

"Had this stupid act been done to Senator (Barack) Obama, there would appropriately have been a national outcry," he said in a statement."

This from this Newsweek Article of a Palin effigy left swinging from a porch.

Now. I'll be the first to admit that while I rocked straight As in school, History would probably be in my bottom 3 subjects. And yeah. I probably have a bit more "understanding" of mine one over say, Mr. Antonovich's.

But surely you jest right? Is political affiliation really a protected class for a hate crime? I know race/ethnicity sure is. And to that, I kinda see why if it were Obama, it might be considered a hate crime (or at least, perhaps, premeditation of some such since it was a crime against an effigy, not against the actual person).

In any event, the police are scanning the field with their search lights in my backyard and it is only a matter of time before the helicopters show up so I should probably head for the bunker.

But not before I link you to a couple of good NPR pieces.

Yesterday's interview with Toni Morrison about her new book A Mercy.

Today, Hate Groups go gaga for Obama well, sort of.

Night.

No comments: