Monday, April 30, 2007

Disclaimers: Thank Yous

Okay...you've been patient and kind and I am going to stop neglecting you and using the whole jetlag excuse. But please do note that I am NEVER up at 5 am and so incoherent ramblings aside, I really mean it when I say read the disclaimer and thank you's first.

Disclaimer: I am but only one girl. Not really a world traveler, a bit too conspiracy theorist, a picture taker but not a photographer, a fighter, but not really an all out activist. I see things. You see things. Often times, we don't see the same things. I don't know all Americans nor did I get to meet all Chinese citizens or Tibetans or Nepalese or Indians on this trip. When I make a comment like "Fat lazy American" I of course refer only to myself. When I make a comment like "they are all so nice" I refer only to the 200 or so pilgrims trekking about me. When I say "the Chinese government disgusts me" I mean "the Chinese government disgusts me". But in context of course.

Everything I say here I take credit for. I of course reserve the right to debate the heck out of an issue here on my blog with those that leave comments and if you email me thinking you'll stay annon that way, think again. If you ask to not be identified, I won't post your email addy for people to spam you, but I reserve the right to talk about what you write to me because I am still very much processing this trip and I'll be darned if some good hindsight doesn't do me well in (gasp!!) changing my mind on some issues. Fair warning that you will never change my mind on the Chinese government. Okay, maybe you will. Doubtful, but there is hope yet.

I will try to not make this boring and long, but anyone who knows me at all knows I talk/type a lot. If you don't have the attentiton span for it, might I suggest my www.shotsfired.blogspot.com picture blog where you might even win a prize for leaving a comment? For those who want a more in-depth disucssion and overview of the trip, you're in the right spot.

If you leave a comment with contact information, I'll likely respond directly to you. If you leave no contact info, I'll respond in the comments of the thread. If I feel that it REALLY warrants it, I will edit a post and make it obvious (ie a different color), but generally speaking, if I do more than one post per day to this blog, generally the second post will be marked to note that it is a commentary piece on your comments. I know, I have grande visions of lots of folks making comments which will likely not happen, but I'm the kind of girl that likes to have lots of contingencies. Partial reason why I'm not a fan of the Chinese government. More on that to come.

That all said, some thank you notes are in order. In no particular order of course, I'm thankful to Seattle University--particularly the law school and the law school admission staff--an amazing group of women and students who worked their tails off so that I could even fathom taking a trip like this at a time like this. I'm also thankful to Mike O. and Vicky K. at the Olympian--Mike was patient enough with me on his Diversity Panel and really helped me to grow as a writer--please don't blame him for what transpires on this blog. But more importantly, Mike and Vicky, a year or so ago, were all ready to make me a bonafide correspondent when I was supposed to go on a Rotary Group Study Exchange to Africa. Because way back then they believed I could do that, I figured a journal and a camera would be good to pack for this trip. I thank them for opening my mind to the thought of sharing. And of course, thanks to the Rotary Olympia GSE folks. Last year, I almost went to South Africa. Best laid plans of course BUT, in preparing for that trip, my eyes were opened theoretically to what it meant to not be an American (mostly because in that training I found out that Jesus was born on the same day in Canada as he was in the U.S...) and to not be "lucky". I'd be remiss if I didn't also thank people like the amazing teachers/professors and instructors I have been blessed with throughout my life. From my first fave teacher Mr. Jim Oakes back at PHS to some of my current faves like J. Stringer at Seattle University, the common thread amongst them all is that they all realized that I was just a girl with a tad bit different perspective on things and they never stifled my need to ask "why". I thank the Freedom Writers who beyond keeping me entertained on a way too long flight to Beijing, also opened my eyes to living beyond the context and I also thank John Krakauer for being from Seattle and surviving the beast that is Everest. He kept me entertained for 48 hours of tedious train shuffling, but moreso, he made Everest real for me. I thank Kodak for making great picture print paper because without them, I wouldn't have had Crystal, Quantae, David, Tyshaun, Jarius, mom and granny with me on this trip. But most importantly of all, I thank that crazy, determined, amazing man that 20 someodd years ago first had the notion that while the summit might not be a good idea, Base Camp was really not that far flung. His patience, motivation, selfless nature and amazingly analytical mind knew with an uncanny certainty that if we flipped a coin, Everest would win out and if it didn't, he was more than prepared to make the case for why Everest, why now. I love risk takers and I love that this particular risk taker loves me back.

So there you have it. Please comment often and in detail about any crazy thing (or "no duh") thing that spews from my keyboard. I commit to trying to make this at least a daily entry, but you know me...if I can't say it all, I often wait until I can. That said, the easiest way to keep track of when I have something new to say is to sign up at www.bloglines.com. It is free, it is easy, it will tell you in big bold letters when I have something new to say. Alternatively, if you say pretty please in your email, you can also shoot me a note and I'll put you on a VIP list of folks to get a weekly email from me with a bit of the condensed version of what went down for the week and I might even hyperlink some stuff for you. Wow! Special. That will be three emails tops (I don't anticipate these ramblings to take longer than three weeks) and then I'll likely forget your email address and never talk to you again until I have to email and tell you that it has been 4 years since we last spoke, but I'm ready to talk again. That's how I roll.

In the meantime, thanks for stopping by and be sure to send lots of others by to leave their two cents as well. Check out the www.shotsfired.blogspot.com blog for lots of pics and thanks for joining me as I relive this journey of a lifetime.

3 comments:

Photoheartist said...

I'll be checking your blog for B-is-ums on life and the pursuit of having your eyes opened. Welcome back!

Karen Wilson-Bonnar

Candy Rosenberg, A Vintage Girl said...

So glad you made it back safely!
Candy Rosenberg

Anonymous said...

Wow B, interesting trip; hadn't realized Robert was so tall :) Dig the new doo. Loved the ice cap shots.